Sunday, July 20, 2014

Kirtland Temple




Before closing this writing I desire to mention an important incident in connection with the Kirtland Temple. After the building was dedicated, a few of us, some six or eight, having Patriarch Joseph Smith, Sr., in company, went morning and evening to pray, entering at the west end of the [Kirtland] Temple and going clear through to the east stand. This we enjoyed very much. The stand being enclosed by curtains or veils made it quite by itself and a good place to pray with none to molest. One evening, having been in the country, I was too late to enter with the brethren. The company would not emerge till quite dark. I had tried the door and knew they were at prayer. I felt out of place and went to my house, but soon came out and met Brother Brigham Young, inquiring for Oliver Cowdery. I said I had not seen him.
We walked out towards the [Kirtland] Temple, approaching the building on the side which was used for the Prophet Joseph and his counselors, a portion of the attic on the east being especially appropriated to their use. In the said attic, and right over the stand where the brethren were praying in the hall below were two windows in the gable end to help give light to his compartment or room, the windows being 12 or 14 feet apart, and unusually high from the floor; being nearly 4 feet to the bottom of the lower sash.
When about ten rods distant we looked up and saw two personages; before each window, leaving and approaching each other like guards would do. This continued until quite dark. As they were walking back and forth, one turned his face to me for an instant; but while they walked to and fro, only a side view was visible. I have no doubt that the house was guarded, as I have had no other way to account for it.
I insert this note thinking it may do someone good as it has me. With great fatigue, I have arrived at the present date, March 20, 1884. -- Truman Osborn Angell, Sr., T. J. Angell: Scribe
P.S. The panoramic statements as above given are not intended for Church history, for that is designed for the Church historian; and hence my brief account may be accounted for as herein set forth. But I might not be noted in that history, for their account is for Church purposes and not for me. But I was eyewitness to much as I passed on to date, 1884, and took my share, I think. Here let me conclude my ramble. I feel very feeble in health and about worn out, so farewell to all my true friends. May the Lord bless you in doing right. -- T. O. Angell.http://www.boap.org/LDS/Early-Saints/TAngell.html

No comments:

Post a Comment